http://galactopdx.blogspot.com/2012/03/meatloaf-perfect-smashed-potatoes-and.html. I made plenty so the girls had meatloaf for lunch a couple of days, and there were enough potatoes left to make Friday soup.
I got Wiener's from the German butcher in Portland - http://www.edelweissdeli.com/ - and served the soup "German" style - this is what Ron calls it :) Meaning I warmed the whole sausages in the soup and each bowl had soup and one sausage (btw - the pictures did not turn out) a person. It was quite a success as Alena ended up eating her entire bowl of soup and three Wieners.
Splash of olive oil
1 onion diced
3/4 celery root, peeled, and diced
2 carrots diced
1 leek cut into fine rings
salt and pepper to taste
one vegetarian bullion cube - optional (pls read label careful to make sure it does not contain
lactose, whey, etc.)
leftover (s)mashed potatoes - I had about 2-3 cups
Wiener's - optional or other mild sausages
1. Heat olive oil and when hot add onions. Sauté until soft.
2. Add leeks, carrots, celery and a couple of generous pinches of salt
3. Sauté until leek and carrots are bright in color. Add (s)mashed potatoes and stir it all up.
4. Add 2-4 cups of water and bring soup to a low simmer. Simmer until celery is soft.
5. Either remove 1/2 of soup to blend in pot
6. Add pepper, and adjust salt. You may want to add a bullion cube at this point (I did)
7. Add sausages - if using - and warm gently until sausages are warmed up
We had crusty bread with it as well as a bowl of mixed green salad. Enjoy!