North Carolina Firm Recalls Brunswick Stew Products due to Undeclared Allergens
Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:06:43 -0500
The Murphy House, a Louisburg, N.C., establishment, is recalling 414 lbs. of Brunswick stew products because they contain cracker meal with undeclared allergens, wheat and milk, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
I actually found several recipes online - several of them using ricotta and since I have not yet found a viable substitute for it I used this one.
- 8 oz Sweet Potato (I used more)
- 2 cups of flower (next time I will use a little less - or maybe even more sweet potato)
- 1 Egg
- 1 clove of garlic
* Cook sweet potato until soft
* Mix sweet potato (w/o skin) with the flower
* Add the egg
* Crushed Garlic
* Pinch of Nutmeg (I used 1/8 Teaspoon)
* Mix together into a dough
* Bring a large pot of water to a boil
* Divide the dough into three rolls
* Cut gnocchi about 1/2 inch or less
* Drop all of the gnocchi into the boiling water at once
* Skim the ones that are done (when they float on the surface) and put in a bowl
* Melted Earth Balance spiced with Cinanon and Sage leaves
* Ron and I also had some Dolce Gorgonzola pieces in ours...
Please let me know if you try it out, and what you thought about it.
The credit for the recipe goes to --> http://bit.ly/cAVUV3
Thursday, April 22, 2010
"...Our little Miracle - As our new born child, Alena had a pretty rough time. One week after her birth she developed bacterial meningitis and for three weeks afterwards she was in intensive care at Emmanuel Hospital. The doctors were very clear of what she was up against and the odds of survival was not good. As parents, it was very hard to accept the fact that it was not our fight to make, it was her's alone. She survived and she became our little miracle.
It soon became apparent that she was no worse for wear from her ordeal and began to thrive. As the months passed, we found out very soon that we had a very special little girl..."
Isn't it beautiful. And yes, I am crying right now because it takes me right back to the time when I was on my knees in the chapel at the hospital not knowing whether she would survive. Ron, thank you so much for using such beautiful language...
Friday, April 16, 2010
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Sweet Potato Black Bean Burrito
- 5 cups peeled cubed sweet potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons canola or other vegetable oil
1 large onion
3 large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon mild chili powder (change by me)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 cans of black beans (drained)
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
8 eight-inch flour tortillas
- Cook sweet potatoes with a little salt and water to cover until they are soft. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Warm up some oil in a pan and add onions, garlic, chili powder if using and a little bit of salt. Bring heat to no higher than medium and cover pan. Sautee until onions are soft and translucent --> takes about 10 minutes. Then add cumin and coriander and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Mash the sweet potatoes, black beans, lemon juice, and salt. (The recipe also calls for cilantro but I omitted it). You can mash with a potato masher, food processor, or hand blender.
- Add onion/garlic/spice mix to the sweet potato mash and mix it all up
- Fill each tortilla with about 1/2 - 3/4 cup, roll it up, and place it - seam down - in a lightly oiled baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes.
Recipe Source: Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites (Clarkson Potter Publishers) found on http://homecooking.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/r/blv87.htm
One last thing...we had so many that I ended up freezing 5 of the burriots for lunches :) Yay for left overs....
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Mccormick & Company Recalls Mccormick Fajitas Seasoning Mix Due To Unlabeled Wheat And Milk Ingredients
Thu, 08 Apr 2010 10:22:00 -0500
McCormick & Company, Incorporated (NYSE:MKC) has announced a voluntary recall of McCormick Fajitas Seasoning Mix, with UPC Code 5210002121 and "BEST BY" dates of JAN 16 12 AH and JAN 16 12 CH. McCormick Fajitas Seasoning Mix packages with these date codes contain undeclared wheat and milk ingredients.
Monday, April 5, 2010
Golden Pacific Foods, Inc. Issues Allergy Alert for Undeclared Milk and Soy in Marco Polo Brand Shrimp Snacks
Sun, 04 Apr 2010 09:40:00 -0500
Chino, California (April 2, 2010) -- Golden Pacific Foods, Inc. is recalling Marco Polo Brand Shrimp Snacks sold as Original, Onion & Garlic Flavored and Bar-B-Que Flavored, because they may contain undeclared milk and soy. People who have allergies to milk and soy run the risk of serious or life-threatening reaction if they consume these product.
Saturday, April 3, 2010
- Put a little oil in a pan and heat it up.
- Add leek and cover until soft
- Dissolve bouillon cube in a little bit of water and add to leek
- Uncover pan with leek, put heat on low, and let water evaporate. This should take about 1o minutes
- Put leek in a bowl, let it cool off a little and mix with Tofutti Sour Cream
- Add the two eggs
- If using add Emmenthaler and/or Speck
- Season with pepper, paprika and salt
- Roll out the dough on put it firmly into a Springform Baking Pan
- Pour the leek mixture on top of the dough and fold excess dough over the leek mixture (or you can also roll it up, etc.)
- Bake Quiche/Pie/Kuchen for 30 - 40 Minutes