Sunday, June 13, 2010

Would life be different without Galactosemia?

Does this sound like a strange question to you?  Well, it is one of those questions that sometimes go through my head...Why?  Because I am really not the mother I thought I would be.  Hmmm, maybe the title should be changed....In any case, I am certainly not the mother I imagined to be.  I had Alena in my third year, end of first semester of law school.  My vision at the time was as follows - I will have the baby, go back full-time to school, sit for the bar, and then take full-time job.  Yes, the baby was to be part of my life but you know I would not be giving anything up.  In retrospect that whole thought process scares me.  What on earth was I thinking???  In any case, as you know life happened differently.  Alena was born - on schedule as I may add - and she was a beautiful, healthy child.  I was already thinking about my upcoming exam!!! Then life happened - in less than a week Alena was fighting for her life.  And that is the point when everything else was no longer important to me.  That is the the point when the only thing that mattered to me was my child, and my spouse.  It has been from that point on forward that my life centers around my family.  Yes, I do work a couple of days a week but the main focus on is my family.  That is why I work part-time. Without Galactosemia, my main focus most likely would be a job first and, then my family.  Without Galactosemia I would take life much for for granted.  With Galactosemia I realize how fragile life really is.  That we need to be grateful to have each other and to appreciate each other daily.  So to me, Galactosemia is what set me on the track I should have been on all along.  In my mind, things happen for a purpose and you know what that old saying "when life throws you lemons make lemonade..."  So to answer my question, life would be different without Galactosemia...

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...