Saturday, November 26, 2011

So many things to be thankful for...

...I know Thanksgiving is over and #Thankful is probably no longer trending on Twitter.  This morning for me is however the perfect time to reflect on what I am thankful for.

There are endless persons and things to be thankful for.  You know, the usual things - all of my family, love, wellness, our health, our home, having plenty of food on the table, being able to travel, the things everyone is thankful for.  So I will not reflect on the know about....So here it goes.

I am thankful - beyond words - for Newborn Screening and all the people that put so much hard work in to have the tests implemented in each State.  It is - as I am sure all of you know - that without Newborn Screening we most likely would not have our wonderful family.  It is only because of the test, because of the lab technicians that worked over the Thanksgiving weekend eight years ago, the physician that tracked us down, the pediatrician who had a gut feeling and not afraid to go by it, and the infectious disease physician that we celebrated Alena's eight Bday this week. Just think about, what could have happened.  Think about what could happen if the test would not be mandatory/opt in for every baby.  The results could be devastating.  I would not have known about the Newborn Screen. - I am thankful for the individuals at www.screenbabies.org who work tirelessly to educate about Newborn Screening. Through Save Babies through Screening organization we learned about additional private newborn screens.  By the way - the positive diagnosis for Classic Galactosemia for Mia Rose was received from the private lab.  I am however heartbroken, when I remember that the organization was started because a baby died of complications from Classic Galactosemia before the Newborn Screen results were processed.  Just heartbreaking....

There is so much more to be thankful for...

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...