Thursday, March 7, 2013

1 chicken = 3 dinners & 1 #recipe #Dairyfree Enchiladas

Many of my friends like to roast a chicken for dinner; they tell me that it is super easy, and a great meal.  Well, I have to confess that I am not the biggest fan of chicken and am not exactly sure why that is.  Maybe it is because growing up, we rarely had chicken well, that is besides the occasional visit to Wienerwald with my Dad {yes, there used to be one in Tuttlingen}  In any case,   Ron likes chicken - the girls not so much or well, they are just not eating it very often. That was until this week. So what changed my mind?   It was the New Season's Market 13 year Anniversary Sale - I know it sounds like a lame reason, but local chicken for 99cents/lb. could not be passed up...

chicken roasting easy dinnerSo on Monday night it was Garlic Lemon Rosemary Chicken by my friend Isabel who is aka as the Family Foodie.  Let me tell you, this is one fantastic recipe.  Fresh lemon, plenty of garlic, and homegrown rosemary gave the chicken the perfect flavor. This is one super delicious, easy, recipe...and the kids and me? Well all of us liked it a lot.  Mia Rose had thirds,  Alena ate her portion, and I liked it as well.  I can tell you that Ron loved it....


On Tuesday night it was Dairyfree Enchiladas. I know what you maybe thinking...German girl making Mexican food...this was the very, very first time for me also to make Enchiladas.  It is a great way to use up all that leftover chicken, right?  And here is my one recipe today...certainly not ground breaking, but hey German girl attempting to cook south of the border...

Dairyfree Chicken Enchiladas

  • Splash of olive oil
  • 1 onion diced
  • 1-2 garlic cloves minced
  • 1 tsp. Spice Hunter Chili Powder Blend
  • 1/4 tsp. cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. coriander
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 cans black beans drained, and rinsed
  • app. 1-1/2 C of cubed, cooked chicken
  • 1 Pack Daiya Cheddar Style Vegan Shreds
  • 2 cans Hatch Encilada Sauce
  • 1 Pack of Flour Tortillas (I used about 10)
#Dairyfree Daiya Chicken Enchilada Dinner Easy
  1. Heat olive oil in a pan, and add onions with a pinch of salt when hot.
  2. Saute onions until soft, then add garlic and all of the spices. When fragrant add beans and keep on the stove for another minute or so.
  3. Place chicken in a large bowl, add onion/bean mixture, and about 1/3 of the Daiya Shreds. Mix it well (I just use my hands).
  4. Pour one can of Enchilada Sauce into a large baking dish, and preheat oven to 350 F
  5. Taking one Tortilla at a time, scoop the chicken/bean mixture into it, roll it up and place it in the baking dish.  Repeat until you used up all of the chicken/bean mixture.
  6. When done, pour the second can of Enchilada Sauce over the rolled up tortillas, top with the rest of the Daiya Shreads.  Bake for at least 30 minutes, or until bubbly hot.
The entire family loved this dish as well :)  It had something for the bean lover (Alena), as well as for the carnivore (Mia Rose)
Dairyfree Chicken Rice Daiya Milkfree Enchilada


Wednesday Night it was Isabel's Chicken Noodle Soup and it was THE best chicken noodle soup ever. We really like our soups, and this was just plain out of this world chicken noodle soup.  The girls loved it, as did Ron and I.  
Chicken Noodle Soup

For the soup, I used the chicken carcass and followed all of Isabel's instructions; but left out the chicken bullion cubes as I did not see any lactose free ones on my recent trip to the store (always check those cubes).  Instead I added the juice of 1/2 lemon, zest of 1/2 lemon, lots of Kosher Salt, and a couple shakes of The Spice Hunters Chef's Shake...

I am so happy to know that we have used up the entire chicken...



ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...