Friday, June 28, 2013

Sweet and Sour Short Ribs {Guest Post by Blueberries And Blessings}

I am so excited that my friend Pam agreed to be a guest blogger {yes, my very very very first one} on The Not So Cheesy Kitchen today...take a look at this amazing recipe!  Yes, it is all dairy free :) Thank you so much, Pam!

A big hello from northeast Florida today! I’m Pam, from Blueberries And Blessings. I am thrilled to be posting on The Not so Cheesy Kitchen, we met through our mutual love for  #SundaySupper, I fell in love with Bea’s blog and her passion to educate others on issues that she and her family face when it comes to food. She does a brilliant job and her dishes are delicious! What an honor to bring a meal to her table. Without further adieu, let’s talk ribs!

I bought some grass fed beef short ribs a while back when I was on my sojourn to Whole Foods. I wasn't quite sure what to do with them. I had truly only heard of a recipe of braised short ribs where you add tomatoes, carrots and the like to them, and I wasn't really feeling that recipe, so I just tucked them away in the freezer until inspiration struck.

I was sitting at my Mom's and looking through her trusty old cookbook when I spotted a recipe for Sweet and Sour Short Ribs. It was like bells went off. I scribbled the recipe down and eagerly went to it the very next day.




I made a few adjustments for convenience's sake - I just didn't have the ingredients on hand - and it still came out perfect. Nice and tangy, with just a hint of sweet.




I have never like sweet and sour recipes that were more sweet than sour, or too sour for that matter. This one fell happily in the middle and couldn't have been more flavorful. The liquid cooked down to the most perfect sauce consistency, too.




I would happily serve these again, even to company. I served them atop some nice steamed brown rice with a side of sauteed broccoli. A perfect chilly evening meal.

Sweet and Sour Short Ribs
adapted from The Complete Family Cookbook

1 - 2 pounds beef short ribs
1 tbsp olive oil
1/3 c. flour, plus 2 tbsp (divided) - I used a  gluten free flour blend, but regular AP will work also
1 leek, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1 c. water
1/2 c. steak sauce (I used A-1)
2 tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cider vinegar
2 bay leafs

heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large heavy saucepan

dredge ribs in flour, then place them in the pot and brown on all sides, then remove to a plate

add leek and saute until softened (2-5 minutes)

add water to the pan and scrape up all browned bits

add remaining ingredients to the water and stir to combine

return ribs to pot and cover

reduce heat to low to medium low and cook until tender - about 2 to 3 hours



ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...