Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Tomato-Potato Pizza {a.k.a. Hashbrown Pizza} with Arugula & last days of summer break

Oh are you all doing?  Are you already back into the after summer mode?  I have to report that this girl {me} is not yet back into the after summer mode; it has been a little hard for me getting back into the "swing of things" ever since we got back from Europe.  Not sure why; it must have to do with yet another summer almost being over; kids almost going back to school; and yes also being so far away from my original home across "the pond".  This year is clearly more challenging to me that previous years...oh, well no, I will stop my whining and pull myself together; by the way it is just me being whiny nobody else in this house; just the lone old mothership :)

But now what about this Tomato-Potato Pizza?!  Okay so let me clarify it is not what it appears to be from its title you know, pizza topped with tomatoes and potatoes even so that is a very fine pizza.  This friends is more - I just added it to the title - is a hashbrown pizza topped with delicious tomatoes as well as arugula.  Believe me it is delicious; yes, it is a little bit of work since I grate everything by hand but the result is well worth it.  So surprising, and oh so good...our friends Larissa {a.k.a. Stitch Marker} Martin and their son Sebastian - who by the way is the best person to make Alena giggle - joined us to share this meal....
Do you think Larissa likes this dish...

Tomato-Potato Pizza with Arugula
 Recipe is adapted from Essen und Trinken 
  • app. 1-1/2 lbs potatoes {I used yellow skin} 
  • 1 onion
  • 1-2 tsp. salt
  • 4 Tbl Olive Oil
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 C grated Parmesiano Regiano {optional}
  • app. 1/2 lbs. tomatoes slices thick
  • 1 C Argula {or more}
  • 2 Tbl Lemon Juice
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  1. Grate potatoes and onions.  Place in a large bowl and toss with - 1-2 tsp. of salt. Set aside for about 10 minutes. 
  2. In the meantime line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat oven to 400 F
  3. After 10 minutes take a handful of Potato/Onion mixture and squeeze as much of the water out as possible.  Place squeezed out Potatoes in a different bowl.
  4. Once all the water has been squeezed out of the potatoes add 2 Tbl olive oil, 1/2 C Parmesiano Reginao if using, and pepper to the mixture.
  5. Place the mixture into the prepared baking sheet and spread it accross the entire sheet.  {Note: I used my hands to spread the Potato/onion mixture accross the entire baking sheet}
  6. Bake for about 30 minutes until potatoes turn golden; remove the "dough" from the oven and
  7. Place tomato slices on the "pizza".  Add a little salt, pepper, and remaining - if using - Paremsiano Regiano.  Bake for another 10 minutes.
  8. Mix remaining 2 Tbl of Olive Oil with Lemon Juice, salt and pepper.  Mix the dressing with the Arugula 
  9. When pizza is done, remove it from the oven - just before serving spread the dressed Arugula salad over the pizza.
   

Enjoy!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...