Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Surprise visitor & Carnitas {#dairyfree}

As most of you know, I am originally from Germany with my entire family living in Europe; and it is quite some ways from Oregon.  Visits are usually planned way ahead of time so when my sister Kati asked earlier in the week about our weekend plans I did not give it much thought.  I certainly did not think that Kati was planning a surprise visit...so can you imagine just how thrilled I was when she told me about her plans to visit us the same week...We decided not to tell the kids and surprise them after school.

So what does all of this have to do with Carnitas? Well, let me tell you. With our weekly CSA share we received Tomatillos; a fruit I have never used before and it really threw me for a challenge.  What to do? I called upon girlichef to the rescue and thanks to her fantastic recipe I made my first true Mexican dish.  Whoo-hoo!!!  Perfect dinner for the family and Kati :)
Here is Kati after her 24 hour trip...eating a bowl of Carnitas
Let me tell you so, that I was a little concerned to pull it off.  But - wow this dish was simply amazing.  Ron loved it, Kati loved it, and also the girlies.  It involved making my first salsa verde - as in ever, and then roast the pork {I used country style pork ribs} for close to two hours in the oven.  The house smelled amazing, the dish was amazing...yes, you MUST make this dish!!!  Oh, and I did not find Verdolagas here in PDX so I just topped it with arugula.  And no, that was not my idea girlichef told me so :)

Yes, Carnitas con Verdolagas (in my case con arugula) is a must try...oh so good!!!

here we are having fun at the Portland Saturday Market...








ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...