Friday, June 20, 2014

Overnight 4th grade trip…{are not so scary after all ~ #Galactosemia}

How are you today?  I am so behind on my posts…lately it seems that they only take place in my head and never make it onto the screen….this one is long overdue.  This is about something I have wondered abut for a very long time.  What will it be like if our girls go on overnight camp trips.  Will the food be "safe" for them?  Will they be singled out, or will they be included?  Will it be an issue?  Well, the answer to my question came earlier this month as Alena went on her first trip to outdoor school.  Her class actually went for two nights, and as chaperones were needed I asked to join.

Let's just say that both of us were very excited; I was probably more nervous than Alena.   I went being all nervous and came back excited. Oh, we had SO much fun…it was simply amazing; Alena's teacher had called ahead to make sure the kitchen knew about her dietary restrictions.  Every meal a person came out to her and explained which foods were not safe.  There was pudding for Alena, soy milk, treats, and they even made special breakfast sausage for her.  I was just blown away as were my worries.  Alena herself - yes, she decided to sit at a different table from mine a couple of times - always asked and other chaperones told me how impressed they were that she always made sure that the food was safe for her.  Yes, I will say it here and now I am so proud of our big girl :)

The camp itself was beyond amazing; the setting was on 550 acres in nature away from the city right at the foot of Mt. Hood.  We slept on bunks in cabins, and enjoyed a large camp fire every night.  During the day there was outdoor school and we hiked through the woods exploring nature around us.  The most amazing thing to me was that the "Solo hike"; it is what it sounds like.  Everyone goes on a hike all by themselves.  The teacher went ahead and put little notes down and signs where to turn; then one kids and/or chaperone followed alone every 5 minutes.  To say that I was nervous about my girl hiking alone is clearly an understatement; yes I was beyond nervous and so was Alena as well as all the other kids.  Take a look there she is before the hike…

…however the Solo hike was the most amazing event.  Each kid got to experience nature by themselves, each kid was challenged and then realized what they can do. It was the single most empowering moment.  Simply amazing…and you know what? It was the favorite event of almost every single kid...

I have learned so much on this trip.  Our children are so strong, they stand up for themselves, and yes they do understand their dietary restrictions.  It makes me so happy…..




ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...