I love spring, and early summer. One reason is that I just love rhubarb, or Rhabarber as it is called in German. The tartness combined with some sugar...yum!!! I found this fantastic recipe for a "Rhubarb-Meringue Cake" on a German blog (link is below). Cake is, at least in my opinion, the better description...
125 GRAM of Earth Balance, or other vegan margarine
125 GRAM of fine sugar
2 Egg yolks
50 GRAM corn starch
125 GRAM Cup flower
1 teaspoon baking powder
750 GRAM Rhubarb
2 Egg white
200 GRAM Cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of lemon juice (I have omitted this before)
1 pinch of Salt
Preheat oven to about 350 degrees F (170 Celsius)
- Peel rhubarb and cut into about 1/2 inch long pieces
- Mix up batter
- Pour batter into baking form
- Top batter with rhubarb
*** Bake for about 20 - 30 minutes until the dough is slightly golden
- Beat Egg White with salt to egg snow, add lemon juice, and sugar very slowly
- Spread egg white mixture (it should be very firm) over the baked cake (rhubarb)
- Bake for another 20 - 30 minutes until meringue turns a little brown.
I found this recipe on a German Blog...take a look at the pictures. It tastes just as great as the pictures look...http://schnuppensuppe.de/blog/index.php?itemid=341
Please let me know if you like this recipe :) - Happy baking...