Saturday, February 28, 2009

Its not an allergy...

do you ever have to explain to your friends, family, or acquaintances that Galactosemia is NOT an allergy? It seems that people always seem to think that the girls have an allergy and do not realize that it is a metabolic disorder. Does it really matter if people think its an allergy vs. a metabolic disorder? Of course not, but it bugs me...I cannot explain why. The only explanation I have for feeling this way is because it seems that people go on to think "Oh, its just an allergy", "I knew the kid of XYZ who had this allergy and they outgrew it", etc. My personal favorite is when I was told "when I grew up kids ate everything and they never got sick. You are just overreacting..." - So when acquaintances say that to me I proceed to tell them that 1) no, its not an allergy, 2) we almost lost Alena and tell her story, 3) we need to have their eyes checked regularly, 4) blood tests, 5) potential problems... My question to myself is why, I explain CG in such detail? I know Ron would not do that. I certainly do not want anyone to feel sorry for my kids or us, because there is no reason for that; its also not that we want to be special (hey everyone is special)...I think - as I am writing this - it is because I want people to understand that there are such things as metabolic disorders and it cannot be taken lightly. Certainly allergies cannot be taken lightly either as may of them can be life threatening. The point is (at least think that's my point) that others must take dietary restrictions serious. Too often other adults see it as just an over-the-top reaction by a parent.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...