Friday, March 6, 2009

Chicken and Wild Mushroom Ragout

I have not posted recipes in a while. We had this dish this week and its easy to make plus very good. Also makes fantastic leftovers :). Please let me know if you like it when I share recipes and if its helpful. Yes? Will you please let me know :)

This recipe I adopted from the Oregonian sometimes last year. FYI - the original recipe calls for butter and sour cream. I do not sub the butter here b/c I don't think it needs it, but the sour cream is changed to Toffuti sour cream. - This goes well with egg noodles, but polenta would also be nice with it :)

This recipe is for 4 (very, very, very) generous servings. I used less chicken. Here is what you need

8 chicken thighs (I use boneless skinless)
6 large shallots
(3 TB unsalted butter - I leave it out all together)
3 TB olive oil
1/2 lb. mixed mushrooms (don't use button or white mushrooms, cremini, oyster, and/or shitake
work well)
1 750 ml bottle of dry white wine (I use a Sauvingon Blanc Charles Shaw from Trader Joe's)
1/4 Cup of Tofutti sour cream
3 Tbl chopped italian parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. Pat chicken dry. Salt & pepper all sides of the chicken pieces
3. Peel onions and halve them lengthwise
4. Heat the oil (and 2 Tb of butter) in a large, heavy, oven-proof pot with lid over medium heat
5. Add chicken thugs and brown on both sides (about 6-8 minutes)
6. Remove chicken and set aside
7. Add shallots to pan and cook them. Stir often until they are soft & translucent
8. Remove shallots w/slotted spoon and set aside
9. Add remaining oil (and butter) and when hot add mushrooms
10. Cook mushrooms until browned about 6-8 minutes
11. Return chicken and shallots to pan
12. Pour wine into pan and bring it to simmer
13. Cover pot and place it in the oven for about 1-1/2 hours. Chicken will be tender and almost
fall apart
14. Add Tofutti before serving and sprinkle with parsley
15. Serve over egg noodles or polenta

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...