Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Berry Crumble {Guest Post by Magnolia Days}


Dear all - I am so humbled that my dear friend Renee from  Magnolia Days is my guest today.  She writes an amazing blog, her recipes, as well as all her presentation are simply superb.  I am so happy, and excited beyond belief for this amazing dish.  Thank you so much, Renee...
Hello! I’m Renee from Magnolia Days. I met Bea a while ago through Sunday Supper. There were a couple of things that got my attention when I read her posts. One is that she is from Germany in an area not far away from my family. The other is her absolute devotion to her daughters and husband. Her love for them shines through in every single one of her posts and recipes.

Speaking of her recipes, the ones for German food really steal my heart (and tummy)! My mouth was watering over her Jaegerschnitzel and Swabian Beef Spaetzle. Beyond that, what amazes me is how Bea can adapt almost any recipe to be dairy-free. Her girls don’t miss out on anything. I wanted to take on the challenge and create a special treat too. It was an interesting experience and quite fun. I got to play with new ingredients and make a topping I never would have otherwise. I adapted the recipe from a blackberry cobbler on Jen’s Favorite Cookies.

Berry Crumble is a delightful summer treat with juicy fresh berries, crunchy crumble, and a creamy topping. I used blackberries and raspberries. I admit I devoured it right after taking photos. I’m considering not sharing the rest of it with my husband. It’s really that good. Not a trace of dairy either. I’m so proud I met the challenge!

It’s an honor to be a guest on this blog. Thank you so much Bea! I hope you, your family, and your readers will enjoy this Berry Crumble.
Berry Crumble
  • For the crumble:
  • ¼ cup flour
  • ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • ¼ cup sliced almonds
  • ¼ cup chopped walnuts
  • 4 tablespoons Earth Balance vegan butter, melted


For the filling:
  • 2 ¼ cups fresh berries (blackberries and raspberries)
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
  • ¼ cup water
  • Pinch of salt
  • For the topping:
  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk (American brands work best)
  • 2 teaspoons powdered sugar


For the crumble:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Stir together the flour, brown sugar, oats, almonds, and walnuts in a medium bowl.
  3. Add the melted vegan butter and stir to combine.
  4. Press the mixture evenly on one end of a baking sheet.
  5. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden brown.
  6. Let crust sit for 3 minutes then fluff with a fork. Cool to room temperature

For the filling:
  1. Place 6 to 8 berries in a small saucepan and mash the berries using a fork.
  2. Add sugar, cornstarch, water, and salt. Stir to combine.
  3. Bring to a boil and let boil for 4 minutes, until mixture thickens.
  4. Remove from the heat and pour over remaining berries in a bowl. Toss to coat.

For the topping:
  1. Place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight.
  2. Puncture the can with the pointed end of a can opener and drain out liquid.
  3. Open the can and scoop out the solid coconut fat to a chilled bowl.
  4. Add the powdered sugar.
  5. Whip on high speed in until soft peaks form. Do not over-whip.

To assemble:
  1. Divide the crumble into thirds. Use two-thirds and divide evenly in four serving bowls. Spoon the berry filling over the crumble. Sprinkle the remaining third of the crumble over the berries. Top with whipped coconut milk.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...