Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter ham leftover dinner #3 - Split Pea Soup

with homemade crusty white bread - quick NYT no-knead - and mixed green salad. I ended the diced ham pieces for the last 1/2 hour. There are so many recipes for split pea soup so I know the world does not need another one. But - this is what I was looking for - I used 2 C split peas to app. 6 C of vegetable broth/water. I did however have to add more water at the end. For the veggies I used an onion, two garlic cloves, 2 carrots, and 1/2 a celery root as I had that left in my fridge. For the last hour I also added a little more than a 1/4 C of dried rice, as we like our soups thick...This was a great meal on this rainy April day in Portland.
The girls review was mixed. Alena loved the soup but fished out the ham pieces, Mia Rose ate her obligatory three spoonful's but ate two plates of salad plus a bunch of bread. Alena declared after dinner that she was not in the mood or carrot cake tonight, but preferred ice "cream". Good thing we had a box of So Delicious coconut ice cream bars left http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/coconut-milk-ice-creams/coconut-almond-bar-minis - The girlies enjoyed a bar each tonight for dessert. Tomorrow it will be the end of the carrot cake!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...