Sunday, April 1, 2012

Gulasch, Salad of Lamb's Lettuce (a.k.a. Ackersalad), and crusty rolls...

on a rainy day = perfect ocean cottage meal We spent a wonderful rainy weekend at the Oregon Coast. We brought all of the food along. It was easy as our freezer is filled with meat from the family meat pack I just got. Pasta Bolognese one night, and Gulasch the other night. Both are quick, easy and delicious. I made both the Bolognese sauce, and the Gulasch on the first day. So, the Gulasch was ready to eat the second day. It turned out great for one all we needed to do after a fun filled day was warm up the Gulasch, and second because tastes better if it has time to rest overnight well, at least I think so.
Here is my recipe - it was plenty for the four of us. It is easily doubled
- 1 lb stew beef; I like it cut into small chunks
- 2 large onions cut into rings
- splash of olive oil
- 4 Tbl of Paprika; be sure to use fresh, sweet paprika. I like smoked which I buy in bulk in the
herbs and spice section.
- 3 large potatoes peeled, and cut into quarters
- Water
- Salt to taste
1. Heat up olive oil and add onions. Sauté until onions are soft. Be careful not to burn them.
2. Add paprika, and meat. When meat is lightly brown add water. Water should be about an inch or a little more over the meat.
3. Cover and bring to a slow simmer. Leave lid on and simmer for about an hour.
4. After an hour, add salt, stir up the Gulasch cover and return to a slow simmer. Simmer for
another hour.
5. Add potatoes to the Gulasch. The Gulasch is ready to be served when the potatoes are soft.
6. Adjust salt and serve with crust bread.
I also like to add hot paprika to my own plate, Enjoy!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...