Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Schnitzel, French Fries, and Mixed Salad

I also call this meal SchniPoSa as in Schnitzel, Pommes Frites, and Salat. This must be one of the main meals people associate with the German kitchen. Am I right? - Anyways, when we are in Germany Ron and I tend to order it out. However, it is not an item we ever order out for the girls mainly because of the breading. In any case I made Schnitzel for Dinner tonight.

It was an easy choice. Remember our Family Meat Pack from New Season's Market? It comes with a couple of packs of pork cutlets - a pound each. I took out one pack to defrost overnight in the fridge and had it ready to in time for dinner. I did forget lemon - I like to drizzle it over the Schnitzel on my plate. Oh well, they turned out - as my Ron said - great.

This is how I make it -

- 4 pork cutlets
- salt, pepper, paprika
- 1/4 C flour -
- 1 egg beaten
- app. 1/2 C breadcrumbs (make sure they are "safe" - I used Trader Joe's Organic
Breadcrumbs), or Panko which is coarser. In my opinion breadcrumbs work better
- Canola Oil or another oil that can be used at high heat

1. Pound cutlets with a meat hammer, or if you are like me and do not own one with a fork
2. Sprinkle salt, paprika, and fresh ground pepper on meat. Rub it in, and put spices on the other
Side
3. Put flour on one plate, beaten egg on another plate, and breadcrumbs on a third plate
4. Dredge one cutlet at a time, first in the flour, next in the beaten egg, and Last in the
breadcrumbs
5. When all cutlets are breaded heat the oil (about 1/8" or a little more high) in a pan - I use cast
iron - until hot. Add the cutlet, but be sure not to crowd the pan. I fry two at a time.
6. Turn the cutlet over once it is golden, then fry the other side until golden and crispy. It takes
about five minutes depending on the thickness of the cutlet.

Serve with French Fries, and salad. Guten Appetit!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...