Sunday, May 6, 2012

Rhubarb-Meringue Kuchen aka Rhabarber Kuchen

What other cake says "Spring is here" like rhubarb?  No other, that I can think of.  Rhubarb - Rhabarber - reminds me so much of home. Rhubarb compote, rhubarb with vanilla...tangy yet sweet and so delicious!!!  So I was thrilled to find rhubarb on the Portland Farmer's Market this past week and just had to get some.  I promised Ron to bake this cake - he actually asked if I would make a pie but I had to remind him that I make Kuchen and not pie ;)

Here is the recipe for Rhubarb-Meringue Kuchen

You need
- 1 stick of Earth Balance or other vegan butter
- 325 gram sugar
- 3 eggs
- 50 gram corn starch
- 125 gram flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1-1/2 - 2 lbs of rhubarb

1. Clean the rhubarb by peeling it and cut it into app. 1/4"pieces
2. Separate 2 eggs carefully. Reserve the egg whites.

Make the dough
1. Add stick of Earth Balance, 125 gram of sugar, 1 whole egg, 2 egg yolks, cornstarch, baking powder
    and flour to a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly until you have a firm dough.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F
3. Spread dough into baking form, and top with rhubarb

4. Bake for about 30 minutes, or longer until dough is just slightly golden

Make Meringe
1. In a clean mixing bowl beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm
2. slowly add lemon juice, and sugar

5. Carefully spread meringue over the top of the cake

6. Bake for another 20 - 30 minutes, depending on your oven this could be longer or shorter until 
    meringue turns a little brown.


Enjoy!



It turned out great, I really like rhubarb a lot so next time,  I will add a lot more rhubarb :)

Here is the link to my initial post for this recipe..http://galactopdx.blogspot.com/2009/06/do-you-like-rhubarb.html





ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...