Monday, June 9, 2008

How to change recipes to allow the foods in the diet

After initial diagnosis one of the big questions for me was how will I be able to cook. What items are available? After four years it has become second nature for me to make almost all of our recipes so that all four of us can eat them. I have always been a "make from scratch" cook so I did not have to reinvent the wheel for me, but had to change ingredients. The list below is what I have found is certainly not inclusive and I will add on with additional posts as I think of them :)

Recipe calls for Substitute
Butter Earth Balance Margarine (comes in a tub and in sticks which are
great for baking)
Margarine Earth Balance Margarine
Sour Cream Tofuti Sour Cream
Cream (sweet) Soy Creamer plain
Milk Soy, or rice milk (depending on the recipe I use non-sweet, or
plain)
Cream Cheese Tofuti Cream Cheese
Cheese Depending on the recipe I may leave it out, or (on pizza, or
lasagna) I use Vegan Cheese from Vegan Gourmet. It comes in 4
different kinds and really melts wonderful
Bread Crumbs Either Matzo Meal I use
Manischwitz brand
Buttermilk For one cup of milk you use, and 2 TBS Lemon Juice
Chocolate Chips I use Trader Joe's Chocolate Chips - they are Parve
Ice Cream - Rice or Soy ice cream - I like Soy Delicious while my husband really loves rice milk ice cream. The kids love either or :)
Yogurt - Soy Yogurt, we love Whole Soy Brand

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...