Monday, June 29, 2009

A good day turns into a bad day and then again good...

What a rollercoaster day we had yesterday...I am still all shaken up. Yesterday we wanted to go hiking up by the mountain. Alena seemed a little cranky but otherwise OK so we figured that a nap on the one hour car ride would be good for her. Both girls napped, we had beautiful weather. Alena slept, as she often does in the car, her head back and her mouth wide open. As we got closer to our destination, Ron noticed that she was in her backseat with her eyes and her mouth wide open. I immediatley checked on her and she started to talk to me about the rides at Oak's Park the previous day. She seemed a little off, but I figured that she was just sleeping with open eyes. In any case we continued on for another five minutes, stopped and a couple of minutes later when I looked at Alena she again had her eyes, and her mouth wide open. Head tileted backwards, and then I could not get her to respond to me at ALL. It was horrible!!! We stopped the car, I pulled her out of her car seat...thought maybe she was dehydrated so I offered her water. She refused it, but her mouth stayed wide open, just like her eyes. I poured water in her mouth, she seemed to slightly chew but it all flowed back out of her mouth. We tried to stand her up, but she just flopped to the side...I put her on my lap in the car and again, her body just flopped back. It was SO HORRIFYING...somebody called 911 and the firefighters came w/i what seemed like an eternity. I knew she was breathing, but had NO IDEA what was going on. I poured water on her, still no response. I told her about shots, no protest. Ron remembers that she did talk a little bit, very softly...I just do not remember that. I was so worried that we would loose her, it was so, so very scary...The firefighters were wonderful. They took her vitals and they were fine. They calmed us down, figured out that she had a temperature, and still Alena was not responsive. When the ambulance came, Alena started shaking which was probably a reaction to her fever...the ambulance took Alena and me to Emmanuel Childrens Hospital back in Portland. Ron followed with Mia Rose in the car. Her vitals were fine, her temperature was around 102 F. She did respond to look at the paramedic, and with single words, but still was not herself. Finally, about ten minutes away from Emmanuel, 45 minutes into the trip back) she started to become herself again. At the hospital they took labs, as well as a cat scan...the GREAT THING is that everything came back OK. Cat scan was clear, labs showed that she was a little bit deydrated, and they are making the assumption that she had a febrile seizure. We don't know for sure so. I am just so glad, that she is OK. On that mountain, I just saw my whole life come to a halt...

Now we have to figure out what happened. I did call metabolics, and also her pediatrician. It probably has nothing to do with CG, but what was this? I really do not want to ever experience something like that again...it was so scary. And I am not sure, if I can venture away from the metro area for a while ...

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...