Sweet Potato Black Bean Burrito
- 5 cups peeled cubed sweet potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons canola or other vegetable oil
1 large onion
3 large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon mild chili powder (change by me)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 cans of black beans (drained)
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
8 eight-inch flour tortillas
- Cook sweet potatoes with a little salt and water to cover until they are soft. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Warm up some oil in a pan and add onions, garlic, chili powder if using and a little bit of salt. Bring heat to no higher than medium and cover pan. Sautee until onions are soft and translucent --> takes about 10 minutes. Then add cumin and coriander and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Mash the sweet potatoes, black beans, lemon juice, and salt. (The recipe also calls for cilantro but I omitted it). You can mash with a potato masher, food processor, or hand blender.
- Add onion/garlic/spice mix to the sweet potato mash and mix it all up
- Fill each tortilla with about 1/2 - 3/4 cup, roll it up, and place it - seam down - in a lightly oiled baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes.
Recipe Source: Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites (Clarkson Potter Publishers) found on http://homecooking.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/r/blv87.htm
One last thing...we had so many that I ended up freezing 5 of the burriots for lunches :) Yay for left overs....