We love lentils - yes, I did say lentils - all of us :) We eat them with Spätzle and Wieners, with Rice, with potatoes and pesto, as soup. I like to use dried green lentils but also keep a couple of cans in the pantry for quick meals.
Tonight was just such a day....just in case it looks good to you this is my creation
1 TB Olive Oil
1/2 Large onion chopped
1 leek sliced and washed
1 bunch of chard - washed, stems, and leaves separated. Chop stems and leaves - keep
6 small pototoes, peeled and cut in cubes
1 - 32oz pack of chicken broth
1 can lentils drained
3/4 lb. Little smoked sausage links
Splash of Balsamic Vinegar - to taste
Salt and Pepper
1. Heat Olive Oil - add onions and a pinch of Salt. Sautee until soft
2. Add leeks and sautee untl soft
3. Add chopped chard stems - and sautee for another minute or so, stiring often
4. Add potatoes And stir for another minute
5. Add broth, lentils, and sausage links
6. Simmer until potatoes are soft
7. Add salt, pepper, and Balsamico to taste.
I served it with crusty rustic bread.
Oh, and the best part was that both kids loved it :)))