Sunday, January 6, 2013

Mache {Lamb's Lettuce} in Garlic Dressing {#salad}

Yes, Mache {a.k.a. Lamb's Lettuce, Field Salad, Corn Salad, Feldsalat, Ackersalat} is back on the shelves at Trader Joe's.  I love, love, love this salad - it is a winter salad and packed full of flavor.  I generally try to stay away from prepackaged salads because - to me - they taste a little funny, but Mache?!  No, I have to get it  Just ask my Mom - whenever we visit Germany in the winter time she absolutely has to make it for me almost every day for lunch.  I just love it so much - it has a nutty full flavor and it is only {at least that is what I know} available in the cold months.  So, can you imagine how excited I was when I finally saw it on the shelf at Trader Joe's on my last shopping trip?!  Yay - and the entire family loves it as well.  It is a nice addition to potato salad, but I like it best in a simple garlic dressing.  You can fancy it up with bits of crisp bacon, and/or croutons but to me the salad in a simple garlic dressing.

Simple Garlic Dressing  on Mache
1 large clove of garlic minced {or a small clove, or two small cloves - we love garlic :)}
3/4      tsp of salt {I use Kosher salt}
generous amount of fresh ground pepper
2        Tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oi
1-1/2 Tbl White Balsamic Vinegar {or less, I like it tart}
1-1/2 bags of Mache
1.  Add garlic, salt, and pepper to salad bowl.  Mix it all up by stirring it for about a minute, then
2.  Add oil and mix it up stirring it for another minutes, then
3.  Add vinegar and mix it well into the dressing.
4. Adjust to taste {you may want to add more salt/pepper/vinegar}
***Wash Mache***
5. Add Mache to the dressing and toss it mix it together when you are ready to serve the salad!



ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...