Saturday, October 20, 2012

#Dairyfree Blueberry #Muffins and Dinner at friends

This week has been crazy busy; you may or may not know this about me but another hat I wear is as board member of a German cultural organization {Zeitgeist Northwest} here in Portland.  This week we set up an exhibit, for which the opening reception was held yesterday.  It is was my honor to introduce the German General Consul who came to town from San Francisco  to open the exhibit {I linked information in case you are interested to learn more about it}.  I know, I know this is not why you read my little blog, right?!   In any case, the reception started at 4 p.m., school is over at 3 pm but I needed to be there earlier...it was however also a big day for our girlies yesterday - the first day of Girl Scout's for both of them.  What to do?! I am so grateful that one my friends - also the girls scout leader -   offered to take our girls home with her until Ron could pick them up after the event. I originally offered to bring some dinner for the girls along, my friend offered to make a dairy free dinner which the girls could eat.  I am so excited about that, because still many people seem to be intimidated to cook for our girlies. I think that it really pays off to talk about Classic Galactosemia, explain what it is, what they can eat, and what not.  It helps not only take the mystery out of a rare disorder, but it also helps others not to have to worry when having our kids over for a play date {no, there is no need to call an ambulance when they smell milk - or if a milk product is on the same table as their food}


 I was so grateful and wanted to make sure to bring something; a treat all four kids {my friend's two kids, as well as mine} and the adults could enjoy.  Well, everyone likes muffins, right?! And we - so excited about that - have a lot of blueberries left in our freezer.  The perfect time to make Blueberry Muffins.
These are made with the blueberries we picked this summer in Corbett :)



Dairyfree Blueberry Muffins
12-1/2 oz pastry flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C olive oil
1 egg
1 cup Vanilla Soy Yoghurt {I used Trader Joe's brand}
1-1/2 C frozen blueberries {or fresh}

Preheat oven to 380 F
1. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and together in a large bowl
2. Mix olive oil, sugar, egg, and vanilla soy yoghurt together in another large bowl. Cream it all 
    together {I did it by hand}
3. Add dry mixture {reserve 1 Tbl}  to the wet mixture and stir it all together 
4. Carefully mix 1 C of blueberries to the mixture {do not stir it too much}
5. Scoop the mixture into a 12-count muffin tin prepared with paper muffin liners {I used an ice
    cream scoop as recommended by Alton Brown and it worked out fantastic}
6. When dough is divided among the muffin tins - add the additional blueberries {you should have
     1/2 C left over} to each muffin, by gently pressing them into the top of the muffins.  Sprinkle
     reserved dry mixture evenly over the tops of each muffin.
7. Once you put the muffins into the oven, increase the heat to 400 F - bake for about 10 minutes, then
    rotate the muffin pan.  Once rotated bake for another 10 - 15 minutes, until done.
Let the muffins cool down slightly before removing them from the pan.  Enjoy!



ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...