Sunday, September 30, 2012

Gulasch for #SundaySupper {Goulash}

Today's theme for #SundaySupper is meals made out 5 ingredients or less.  I am very excited about this  theme  as one of my favorite meals for entertaining, or for a nice warming dinner is Gulasch which is made out of - the rules are clear salt, pepper and salt do not count - out of exactly five ingredients.  Splash of oil, beef, onions, potatoes, and paprika.

Whenever I make this recipe it connects me to my early childhood.  It is actually the recipe from my paternal Grandmother {Omi}, who grew up in Serbia, until the entire family fled amid the chaos of the war and moved to Karlsruhe, Germany.  My Omi would make Guslasch at family gatherings...
My Omi and me - Family gathering {my Mom is wearing sunglasses}
There is something beautiful about making this dish as I remember Omi, plus it is easy to make, feeds a crowd, and makes fantastic leftovers that are great for school lunches for my girlies.  It just takes some time on the stove, so keep that in mind it is definitively not a last minute kind of dish....


Gulasch
Splash of olive oil
2 lbs beef stew {I like it cut into small pieces}
1-1/2 lbs onion sliced thin {cut into rings}
3 lbs potato peeled, and cut into quarters {I like yellow - russets work too}
6 Tbl paprika {I use mild}
1 Tbl hot paprika {optional I only add it to my own plate as my family does not like spicy food}
5 C Water
1 Tbl Salt {or more to taste)

3 lbs potato peeled, halved, and cut into quarters

1. Heat a splash of olive oil in a stock pot, and when warm add onions.  Cover and keep at medium
    heat until onions are softened {be careful not to brown them}, add
2. beef stir well and cook {open lid} until beef is barely cooked from all sides,  add
3. water;  bring to a slow simmer {be careful not boil}
    and cover.  Cook for 30 minutes, then
4. add salt, and
5. return to a slow simmer, cover, and simmer for another 60 minutes, then add
6. potatoes and simmer until potatoes are soft.  Adjust salt, and serve in soup bowls.

We like to serve ours as my Omi did with crusty white bread, and pickles {vinegar - not salt pickles}


Be sure to check out what  everyone is bringing to our #SundaySupper table today. 

Breakfast, Starters, Butters and Jams:
Main Dishes:
Desserts:
Beverages:
Please be sure you join us on Twitter during the day by following #SundaySupper. The Twitter live chat starts at 7 p.m. {EST} and we will talk about our Five Ingredient Recipes! Just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat!  
We would also love to feature your Five Ingredient recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!


   

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...