Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Vegetable Beef Tamale Pie...

Did you see the fantastic #SundaySupper posts for the Mexican Fiesta last weekend?  My foodie friends made so many mouthwatering mexican dishes and gave me plenty of new ideas.  One of the recipes was by Tamale Pie by Tara of  Noshing with the Nolands.   I love Tamale's but do not think that it is an item to make at home,  so Tamale Pie sounded fantastic to me.  Plus it is a nice change of flavors :)

Vegetable Beef Tamale Pie

Vegetable Beef Tamale Pie {I adapted my version from Tara's recipe}
Filling
- Splash of vegetable oil {I used Canola}
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef {I used 5%}
- 3 tsp of chili powder blend
- 2 summer squashes, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced {you could use green, I just prefer red}
- 1 C frozen corn
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced {or 2 small ones I used purple ones}
- 1 large tomato, diced with juice and seeds {or 2-3 medium sized ones - I used one huge beefsteak}
- salt, and pepper to taste
- 1/2 C water
- 1/2 C of salsa {I used mild Newman's Own}

1.  Heat oil, add onion and a pinch of salt. Sautee until onion is soft, then add
2. garlic and when fragrant, add
3. 1 lb ground beef, and the chili powder.  Sautee until beef is browned, then add
4. Squash, peppers, corn, potato and tomato.  Sautee for a couple of minutes {it gets fragrant}, then add
5. Salt as well as pepper to taste, water and salsa.
6. Simmer on low for about 15-20 minutes {potatoes should be soft}
7. Pour into a deep baking dish - 8"x11"

Topping
-    3/4 C cornmeal
- 1-1/4 C soy, rice, or almond milk {I used almond milk}
- 1 C flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
-     1/3 C sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 Tbs Earth Balance, melted {or other vegan butter}

1. Mix cornmeal with "milk"and let stand for about 5 minutes
2. In a different bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar
3. Add cornmeal mixture at once.  Stir in the egg, and melted Earth Balance
4. Pour/spread topping over the vegetable beef mixture

Bake
1. Preheat oven to 400 F
2. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the topping is golden

I served Avocado alongside!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...