Friday, September 7, 2012

The foods we eat ...

I am participating in Kate's Fun Friday Day Blog Party today and the topic today is "How do you feed your family". This topic - unlike "How to keep your family organized" ;) - is right up my ally.  You knew that already? Really, how did you guess ;)?!

I love food and as my Mom tells me this has been the case since I was first born.  Ron also loves food {right?} - and I generally cook in one way or another pretty much every day of the week.  This was not always the case so, because when Ron and I first met there was no way that I was ever going to cook again.  Well, long story as to way I did not cook for several years after moving to the United States.  Eventually I came around and started to cook again.  Ron loved the foods I made, I loved to prepare, and cook the foods.  Then I went to graduate school, and you know cooking when on the {no pun intended} back burner and we ate out more than at home; or our meals were just really, really simple.  Now forward nine years {really nine years - wow!} and I am cooking, making food, and feeding my family...
My family at the dinner table

Before Alena was born, I never paid much attention to allergens and the like however the week after birth she was diagnosed through Newborn Screening {it is Newborn Screening awareness month} with a rare metabolic disorder called Classic Galactosemia.  The disorder is managed through diet which meant that the way I cook, and feed our family changed completely.  Well, okay when she was an infant she had her formula {breast feeding is not an option with this disorder} but you get the picture, right? So as Alena grew, and Mia Rose joined her big sister {she also has the same metabolic disorder} I adjusted my cooking to make meals without containing any milk sugar {Galactose}.  So I feed my family Tofutti Sour Cream instead of Dairy Sour Cream {or cow as I like to call it}; Soy milk, Almond milk, Hemp milk instead of Dairy, etc.

My kids metabolic disorder is managed through our diet and therefore we must read through all the labels of processed foods.  I believe that it is best to cook from scratch whenever possible, but I sure use short-cuts as well.  I also believe that it is best to eat fruits, veggies, meat and fish that are grown locally, sustainably, and organic.  I also believe in cooking only one meal for the family.  I will not make one dish for the children, and one for the adults.  Everybody gets to eat what is on the table, and everything must be tried :)  Yes, my kids love veggies, fruit, and salad.
Our girls

So what do I actually feed my family?  Well, I pack the girls lunch everyday {now that we are back in school} so some days they get left overs, other days I make soup, or today I made past for them; pack some fruit, veggies, crackers or pretzel, soy yoghurt or pudding, cookies for a treat...

For dinner...well this is what we ate last night.
copyright galactopdx 2012
Sesame tofu on bed of greens with yellow pasta

Sesame "breaded" tofu, on a bed of greens {this was rainbow chard and beet greens with garlic} and a side of yellow pasta {add tumeric to the water}.  It was quite delicious.  And yes,  my entire family - yes Mom of course that includes me - cleaned their plates....

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...