Friday, December 28, 2012

Basic vinaigrette {on salad} & Mushroom Risotto for #WeeknightSupper

The last Friday of 2012.  I have a hard time to imagine that this year has already passed us by.  It seems like we just celebrated the New 2012 Year...Today the girls got to spend a little time with Oregon Public Broadcasting while I worked - let me just say that they were NOT unhappy :).  Afterwards we went swimming...fun was had by all.

For dinner it was Mushroom Risotto - I guess you could also call it Risotto con Funghi - and a big bowl of deliciously fresh as well as crispy red leaf salad. I make my basic risotto recipe, but added rich and earthy mushroom broth instead of the chicken broth.  It makes all the difference, sautee the mushrooms in a separate pan, and add them about half way through.  For finishing I add about a tablespoon of Earth Balance, along with about 1/2 Cup {or more} of grated Parmesiano Reginao {optional}.  It turned out perfect.

Risotto con Funghi with red leaf salad in basic vinaigrette

I noticed that to-date I have never published the recipe for my basic vinaigrette recipe.  You know, I always serve my salad with dressing already on it.  It must be a German thing {please feel free to correct me, friends}.  In any case, this is my basic recipe and Mia Rose loves to help me make it.  I think it is in part because she likes to taste it :)  Just beware, if you do not like raw onions this vinaigrette is not for you as it is packed full with fresh, diced onions....



Red leaf salad in basic vinaigrette

Beate's Basic Vinaigrette
1/2 onion finely diced
1    tsp Kosher or Sea Salt
1/2 tsp  paprika
      black pepper
4    Tb Olive Oil {be sure to use good quality}
2    Tb Balsamic Vinegar
1med to large head of red leaf, green leaf, or butter lettuce; cleaned torn into bite size pieces

1. Add onions, salt, paprika, black pepper, and olive oil into a large salad bowl.  Stir and mix
    for at least 2-3 minutes
2. Add Balsamic Vinegar and mix for another 2-3 minutes. Let stand until you are just about ready
    to serve the salad
3. Stir dressing for about 2 minutes, add lettuce to the bowl and toss it all together.

Basic Vinaigrette

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...