Sunday, December 2, 2012

Vanilla Crescents #Dairyfree {Vanillekipferl} #Cookis #Xmas

Today is the first of advent and there is no way to let the day pass without at least one kind of Christmas cookies, or Weihnachtsbroetle as I like to call them :) Baking cookies before the first of advent just does not feel right to me.  It is just me; I talked to my Mom today and she told me that it was a tradition to bake cookies on this day.  They always made their cookies on the first of advent.  So maybe, it is in my blood....

I make Vanilla Crescents every year and this year I tried out another recipe {click here for last year's version}.  The ones today turned out fantastic - a big part is that I used real vanilla bean instead of vanilla sugar.  It makes a huge difference...they do not look as beautiful as last year's {I just checked it out} but believe me when I say that they are delicious.  Oh, and the house smells amazing...


Vanilla Crescents 
10 Tbl Earth Balance {140 gr}
1/2 C Sugar {100 gr}
1 Vanilla Bean
2 Egg Yolks
1-1/2 C Flour - generous {200 gr}
1 C  blanched almonds and/or cashews finely chopped {100 gr - I used almonds & cashews} - almond
        meal

Sugar Crust
2 Tbl Sugar
4 Tbl Powdered Sugar
   1/2 of {above} vanilla bean - vanilla scraped out.

1. Cream softened margarine in mixer, and slowly add the sugar;
2. Slice half of vanilla bean open and scrape vanilla out and add to the margarine/sugar mixture - blend;
3. Add the egg yolks and continue blending until fully incorporated;
4. Add flour, and nuts; blend well until it is all nicely incorporated into a dough;
5. Divide the dough into three parts.  Roll each part out into a long roll; wrap into ceran wrap. Let
    rest in fridge for at least an hour;
   * Preheat oven to 360F
Here they are...from step 6 to finish :)
6. Cut each roll into about 1/4 - 1/2" pieces; and roll each individual piece into a smaller roll and form
    into a crescent;
7. Bake for about 10 minutes {check frequently - they should remain light and not turn brown}
8. mix the sugar crust by combining 2 Tbl Sugar, 4 Tbl Powdered Sugar, and vanilla from the other
    half of the vanilla bean;
9. let cookies cool down a tiny little bit, then carefully roll them in the sugar mixture, set them aside to cool down entirely before placing them into cookie tins.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...