Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lunch...lunch meat...Part One - Salami

I just thought about this. Something I also never really paid much attention to before I had kids, and before they went to school. - I am sure you are aware that a bunch of processed lunch meat (Wurst as we Germans like to call it) contains lactose. This is something I found out pretty early. I was however so disappointed to find out that most Salami (and I LOVE Salami) also contains milk. From what I understand milk is used in the manufacturing process to give it that nice tangy flavor. Luckily there are a few which are "safe" for the girls. Both kids love
  • Coppa, or Capicola http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppa is delicious. When you buy it make sure that it is sliced really, really, really thin. Almost paper thing...fantastic. Here in PDX I buy it at Pastworks on Hawthorn. New Seasons has it as well but they never slice it thin enough for my taste. FYI - when searching for the wikipedia link I saw that there are a couple of online stores selling it
  • Applegate has prepacked salamis which are all lactose free http://www.applegatefarms.com/

Do you know of any other salami's which are available that is good? Please let me know.

Next topic will be ham :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...