Friday, January 30, 2009

What is in our fridge?!

I know its late, but this is really the topic I wanted to write about for a while now. What is in our fridge? A question I would have never asked myself if there were no dietary issues in the house. So really the question you may be wondering is do we keep any type of milk products in our fridge? And the answer is...yes, we do. We don't usually have milk, but often we have ice cream (in addition to the soy ice cream, etc.), and young cheeses in the fridge. Sometimes, this is rare so, Ron will buy some milk...I feel strongly that the girls must learn at home that there are foods that they cannot eat. They do not learn, if every food we keep in the fridge is OK for them to eat. It was not always like this in our house so...

...I did not allow ANY type of milk products in the house for the first 3 years of Alena's life. That summer we travelled to Northern Italy and met a family who also has two kids with CG. Their kids were 9 and 7 at the time. Beautiful kids. The family invited us to spend the night and we talked over a couple of bottles of wine. I was shocked when I found out that they keep regular, and soy milk in the house; Nutella and Chocoreale; Butter and Margarine; etc. Wow, I asked them, don't you ever worry...and this is where I learned to let go of it. I really was obsessed not to allow any milk in the house. Honestly, what would and what does happen if a mistake happens? This family taught us that kids learn at home best. In any case in the morning I almost had a heart attack. Here was the breakfast table set with butter & margarine; Nutella & Chocoreale; Yoghurt & Soy Yogurt; Milk & Soy Milk the kids sat at the table and you know what happened. Lisa & Philip showed Alena what she could eat. Not once, not once did they want anything else. It was the most normal thing. This was a moment of revelation for me...OK,OK its getting late, words are getting big. But it was...this was when it all became small. And yes, the glass is always, always, always half full. Good night!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...