Monday, May 21, 2012
Asparagus Risotto on a Sunday Night...
morning. I did want to share with you our dinner tonight yet. In was actually the only - yes, can you believe it - meal I cooked all weekend; OK - I am not counting the pancakes, nor the Laugenweckle I made for breakfast...
I needed a quick dish - comfort food = risotto, delicious and creamy. All of us like it and who dös not like asparagus, right?! This is my basic risotto recipe. I do not use a recipe - so please Note that the measurements are not 100%. And yes, we follow the European Galactosemic diet and our girls do eat Parmesiano Regiano (we do not allow Granna) but you can leave it out as well. The risotto will still turn out...
Splash of Olive Oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic minced
Pinch of Salt
1-1/3 of Arborio Rice
1 C white wine
1 qt. Chicken broth (I use Pacific Foods brand)
Rind of a piece of Parmesiano Regiano
Splash Olive Oil
1 bunch of asparagus, cleaned, cut into 1/2" pieces, tips reserved
1 C grated Parmesiano Regiano
1 Tablespoon Earth Balance, or other vegan "butter"
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Warm chicken broth in a separate pot.
2. Heat Olive Oil and when hot add the onions with a pinch of salt. Sautee until soft, then add
garlic, After about a minute add,
3. Rice stir frequently until kernels become slightly translucent, then add wine. When the
wine is just about reduced, add
4. Parmesiano Regiano rind, and 1/2 of the chicken broth. Risotto should be at a very slow
simmer. Stir frequently - when reduced add the remaining chicken broth.
5. In a separate Pan heat a splash of olive oil - when hot add asparagus (all pieces) and
sautee quickly until they turn bright green. Remove from heat and reserve
6. When chicken broth is reduced to about 1/2" above the rice, add asparagus. Stir frequently,
when most of liquid is reduced and rice has desired consitency remove from heat and add,
7. 1/2 C of grated Parmesiano Regiano, and Earth Balance. Stir throughly - adjust salt and
pepper to taste. Serve with remaining Parmesiano Regiano, and side salad.