This, my friends, is post number 900. Hard to believe, but it is true :)
In any case it is a double post day, since I did not post yesterday.
Yesterday, we all had tickets to see a concert by a German A Capella group by the name of Vocaldente. It was their first as well as their only show in Portland and it was amazing. All of us loved it - both girls were amazed and got autographs at the end of the show -> http://www.vocaldente.org/en/
Before the concert we ate dinner - no, not out - at home. I made Vegan Creamy Asparagus Soup; adapted from -> http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/creamy_asparagus_soup/
You will need
- Splash of olive oil
- One onion finely chopped
- One bunch of asparagus - remove woodsy ends, dice spears finely
and reserve the asparagus tips
- One medium sized potato, finely diced
- Three cups of either water and a bouillon cube - I used vegan, OR
three cups of vegetable, or chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- One tablespoon of Tofutti Sour Cream
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Gently heat olive oil and add onion with a pinch of salt. Sautee for about 5 minutes until soft, then
2. Add chopped asparagus and sautee for another couple of minutes until they are bright green.
3. Add the potato, herbs and the water, or broth. Next add the bouillon cube (if you are using water)
4. Bring to a slow simmer and simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes.
5. In a separate pot bring salted water to a boil, to blanche the asparagus tips. Drop them in the hot
water for about 2 minutes until just soft. When done, remove them from the water and move to a
dish with ice water.
6. When asparagus and potatoes are soft blend the soup; I use a hand blender
7. When soup has the desired consistency - we like ours thick - take it off the heat. Add Sour "cream";
add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
Alena said "this is the best soup ever!" - Mia Rosies verdict was "I love this soup!" - and yes, Ron also liked it a lot...