Wednesday, March 20, 2013

#Serendipity Part Three - and Announcement

Back in October of 2012 I posted Serendipity Part One which is in a nutshell how Ron and I met by absolute chance in Chicago; you know I am from Germany and Ron is originally from Wisconsin.  At the time I envisioned a three part mini-post-series and yes, it did take me a while.  Serendipity Part Two went live in early November of 2012; and now here we are in - how did this happen??? - mid March of 2013...finally the - I know that you all were anxiously expecting this post :)  {Yes, I am kidding...}....

 Serendipity Part Two builds upon our random meeting,  the chance of Ron and I carrying the same recessive gene, being grateful to Newbornscreening which diagnosed both of our children with Classic Galactosemia and specifically how our children were saved by Newbornscreening.  Yes, yes, yes you know all of this already but - also yes to this - there is still enough for Part Three :)

As I said, both of our children have Classic Galactosemia a rare metabolic disorder.  The disorder is solely managed through diet and this - yes it is the truth - is why I share so many recipes {yes, this is what our entire family eats :)}.  Way back - at least it seems that way - I started by sharing a recipe every now and then. Eventually I posted on my personal FB page a picture of what we had for dinner.  My awesome sister came up with the idea "you need to blog your recipes"; this is how it all started....Danke, Kati {yes, you can follow her on Twitter} :)  Before then I rarely tweeted any of my posts and kept that part of my life a little more "hidden".  Did I really want people to know that @beatepdx is also the person behind "Galactosemia in PDX"? Well, yes...and this is when I finally started to tweet my posts...

Through Twitter I eventually met my friend Isabel aka Family Foodie and founder of the Sunday Supper Movement. She invited me to join, and by early September, 2012 I finally joined the table with my recipe for Vegan Caprese Salad.  So far I have participated in twenty-seven events - yes :) Thank you, Isabel

This is how my little blog turned into something a little more and also a little bigger.  It is now not just about Galactosemia but also about recipes and life with dietary restrictions.  Let's face it not too many people know what Galactosemia is but many live without dairy in their lives.  So now, it is time for my  big announcement - which is tahhhhdahhhhhhh that I have changed the title of my little blog to "The Not So Cheesy Kitchen {Galactosemia in PDX}".  Why?  Well, you may know that we allow the girls to eat aged cheeses plus I tend to think of myself as "un-cheesy"...So thank you to Ron for coming up with this new title.  

What does this mean?  No worries, I will continue write about our life with Classic Galactosemia, our adventures, raising empowered children, and advocate for Newbornscreening; the bulk of the posts will however continue to be recipes from my kitchen and our "Not So Cheesy Life".  I am envisioning a blog redesign in the future {I will let you know :)} but first off there will be a change in the url. to reflect the new title...So now it is your turn {if you wish} - I would love, love, love to hear your thoughts about this....


ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...