Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dinner is vegetarian Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup...

...the wet winter weather has finally caught up with me as I have very unpleasant cold, and both girls are also starting to get the sniffles. So a perfect time for hot soup.

When shopping, I bought a couple of sweet potatoes anticipating to use them along with black beans. But what?! Google search I found a recipe for black bean sweet potato soup - http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2010/12/recipe-for-vegetarian-black-bean-and.html - which linked back to the original recipe at http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/black-bean-soup-sweet-potatoes.aspx. I adapted the recipe by using dried beans - about 2 cups soaked overnight, homemade vegetable stock - about a quart, for obvious reasons - no milk sugar! - I omitted the yoghurt. My broth was already very well seasoned, so I did not add any additional pepper. It turned delicious! The rest of the family added a dollop of Tofutti Sour Cream while I added some cayenne pepper.

I am glad to report that it was an overall dinner success in our little house in Portland :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...