Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sauerkraut, Kassler Ripple, and Potatoes

I love Sauerkraut - yes, it is true. I know it totally fits the stereotype of Germans - and you know what?  Both girlies love it too :)  Tonight's dinner was Sauerkraut with Kassler and potatoes. Kassler are smoked pork chops. The Sauerkraut I use is Mildessa from Hengstenberg http://www.hengstenberg.de/de/rh.php and I let it simmer on low for at least a couple of hours.  I first sautee an onion in olive oil, then add a couple of tablespoons of flour for a roux, put a little of white wine on it and then add the Sauerkraut.  Once it is at a low simmer, I add a finely diced apple as well as juniper berries.  For the last half hour or so, I add the Kassler so it heats up in the Sauerkraut and the smoked flavor melts in with the Sauerkraut.  Perfect on a cold, dark, winter night!
Sauerkraut, Ripple, and potatoes

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...