was Chili. Plain, and simple chili with - to Alena's delight - lot's and lot's of beans. Here it is - nothing special - but so good...
along side I served. No, let me stop you right there! I know exactly what you are thinking, mixed green salad - the usual boring side. Oh no, we did not have mixed greens tonight but...
can you tell what it is? Are you curious? Maybe just a little bit? - It is a roasted root vegetable salad with reduced balsamic vinegar. It turned out fantastic. The entire family liked it - however Mia Rosie loved it. In case you are curious as to how I made it -
1 sweet Walla Walla onion
1 golden beet
several brussel sprouts
Olive Oil, salt, pepper, reduced Balsamic vinegar - or regular balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 F -
- Peel, and clean vegetable. Cut the parsnip, beet, and yam in fairly thin, long slices. Break the onion up into chunks
- Toss the vegetables with olive oil and spread them in one layer into a baking sheet, or pan (I use Pyrex dish)
- Bake for at least 30 minutes until vegetables are soft, slightly browned, and sweet
- When done take vegetables out of the oven and let them cool down
- Arrange them in a larger shallow dish. Add salt, pepper, and balsamico to taste
- Serve at room temperature
Nice and sweet plus a nice change of pace at long last :)